Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Vista x64 - "the disk is write-protected"!?

I am the proud owner of a new Vista x64 8GB machine.

After a reboot this morning SQL Server had declared that all of my databases were suspect. After a bit of scratching around I discovered that my D:\ (RAID 10) where all of my data lives had become read only. This was not a permissions problem as it was working before the reboot. I rebooted and it was still the same.

After a bit of googling and reading between the lines I rebooted, pulled the power, went for a coffee, read the paper, powered it back up and it started working again.

For the record you may see ""the disk is write-protected" or "the media is write protected". Also, Vista SP1 has just gone to RTM so it is not installed but otherwise the computer is fully patched.


 

No comments: