Sunday, April 29, 2007

Internationalization support in Orcas Beta 1

I have been doing a lot of Internationalization work in ASP.NET2 lately (in fact I am doing a presentation at QMSDNUG in May) and have in general been really impressed by the level of support VS and .Net 2 has for it. However you do not have to dig down too much to see the deficiencies as well. Fortunately for the most part if you are not happy with it then you can write your own custom resource provider (this is not fun – I have done it – be warned – but if you are really keen check out what Rick Strahl has been doing).

So with the release of Orcas Beta 1 I was keen to get in and see what new support there is. After the 5.5GB download I am sad to announce that the support for internationalisation does not appear to be very high on their list of priorities. Indeed, doing a Generate Local Resources actually fails in beta 1 with the message…

Start creating resource content and adding 'meta' attributes to server controls and directives.

A resource writer could not be found.Finished creating resource content and adding 'meta' attributes.

The Help makes no mention of anything "Whats new" to do with Internationalization.

Maybe this will change with the next beta.

This is a bit disappointing. I was really looking forward to getting in, having a play and blogging about my experiences.


 


 


 

No comments: