Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A trap for beginners

The icons in Visual Studio have not changed since VB3 (maybe even earlier). If I see that space shuttle, oscilloscope or bicycle one more time I am going to scream.

Fortunately the icons have been revamped in VS2005 - at least in some beta that I saw. Now that we have the final release I thought i would add some great icons to a test application that I was playing with.

In selecting a icon for the application I navigated to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\VS2005ImageLibrary using Visual Studio - but nothing! Were they cut from the final product? I did the full install. Are we going to be forced to use the space shuttle forever?!??!?

Do not despair! They are not present in the IDEs file selection window because they are all zipped up in a file called VS2005ImageLibrary.zip and the file name filter is set to .ICO so it does not appear. A quick unzip later and you will have all of the icons that you will ever need - for about week anyway.

No comments: