Saturday, January 14, 2006

The debugger is AWESOME

I have had a play with the VS2005 mainly with WinForms and now some debugging.

The WinForms forms editor just rocks. I love the way the controls get sticky around the place they should be placed. No more emails from pesky users saying that a text box is a couple of pixels misaligned - I cannot delete those emails fast enough.

But the debugger is just the best. You can hover the mouse over a variable, drill into its data and even edit its values all from a little popup window. OK - sometimes you need the hand-eye coordination of a brain surgeon to move the mouse over the left hand side of the pop up window to expand its details but I enjoy the challenge. There will be a short cut key I am sure but it have not chanced across it yet.

I really love the text visualiser where you can see the contents of the variable displayed as text, html or XML. I would have loved to have seen a byte[] to string visualiser but alas. In this particular project I am moving around byte[] but they normally contain just ascii so such a visualiser would have been the cream on the cake.

I am impressed with this.

No comments: